Saturday, January 8, 2011

No Surprises

One week into 2011, and already I have experienced high highs (in a Facebook contest, my father won a round-trip ticket to Copenhagen) and lowish lows (my back went out yesterday, which resulted in me missing a performance of En Skærsommernatsdrøm and spending most of the day/evening lying on my back doing nothing). But I think for the most part, 2011 will be a good one...minus the plethora of dead animals that seem to be falling from the sky or washing up on shore lately. I am not a fan of resolutions, as they always seem to fail a mere month into the new calendar year, but I am a fan of fresh starts and new beginnings. (Luckily for me, the entire planet gets one every 365 1/4 days or so.)

On Monday I leave for New York, where I will spend our vinterferie, aka winter break. After 17 months away from the homeland, I get 16 days with my crazy, wonderful family. I hate flying--more than just about anything else, as a matter of fact--but for these people, I'm willing to put in nine hours or so of pure personal terror. And so, the next time I post on this blog will probably be in New York. Until then, one of my favorite pieces: Claude Debussy's L'apres-midi d'un faune.

No comments: