Sunday, August 29, 2010

Sommerferie er SLUT, or: Tusind Tak, CCBC

Cross Connection Ballet Company's run of performances for Sommerballet at Bellevue Teatret ended this weekend, thus officially marking the end of summer (in my mind, at least). I want to use this post to send the company--dancers, designers, musicians, everyone involved--a big fat sack of "TAK" for including me in the wonderful wackiness that is SOMA, their first full-length creation, and giving me one of the most enjoyable summers I can remember.

From the beginning rehearsals right up until the fantastic last show on Saturday night, I was able to be a (loud, snort-laughing) fly on the wall for the process of putting this incredibly creative ballet together. I got to play around on the life-size Soma cube, cut out the patterns for Maja Brix's "eye hats," snap photos of the dancers in rehearsals, listen in on Afenginn's rehearsals, and make epic coffee runs. (Anna Wintour, if you're reading: I can remember up to 14 individual drink orders sans notated help. Move over, Anne Hathaway.) I got to play cheerleader for wonderful new friends and pimp them out on Facebook and Twitter; I learned that there are so many different ways to move, to think about movement, to hear and count music. Plus, I maintained ab shape because I laughed so much on a daily basis, surrounded by awesome, hilarious, warm, intelligent people. So tillykke, CCBC & Afenginn, on a wildly successful trip down the rabbit hole (in cubic form). And tusind, tusind tak for en dejlig sommerferie.


The poster for Sommerballet.


A moment from "Clocks n' Clouds." (photo by Costin Radu)


Louise Midjord's "War Scene," in SOMA.


Esther Lee Wilkinson's pas de deux. (photo by Costin Radu)


The "Nymphs," choreography by Esther


The lovely "Balloons," choreography by Louise Midjord.


Constantine Baecher's "Musical Chairs" choreography.


Esther's box pas de deux choreography, danced by Louise and Peter (with his head in the box).


SOMA.


Jernbane Cafeen: the site of SOMA Saturday night celebrations. Also, the third-best bodega in town (they couldn't find the first two)!

No comments: